Moldovan Poppy Kilim Rug
This phenomenal Moldovan kilim rug has been meticulously hand-crafted by interweaving multi-coloured wefts and warps and embellished with embroidered poppy flowers, resulting in an ornate kilim that is rich in cultural history.
Kilim is a word of Turkish origin and refers to a flat tapestry-woven carpet or rug traditionally produced by nomadic people across the former Ottoman Empire. Since ancient times, Caucasian rugs like this one from the plateaus of Moldova have been treasured for their superb wool, vivid colours, and exceptional weaving quality.
As is true in most weaving cultures, traditionally women and girls are the artisans, taking up weaving as a hobby as well as being a source of income. Women learn their weaving skills from a young age, and each rug is a very labour-intense product, taking months or even years to complete.
Passionate about sourcing vintage textiles and preserving the folk art of nomadic people, this rug was specially selected on travels through Central Asia by a well-connected funky dude who’s business motto is 'good shit, good prices.'
This vintage piece is an incredibly rare find! It would make a spectacular addition to a living room floor, adding rich ornamental texture to your home.
- Vintage hand-woven kilim rug dating from around the 1960s-1970s
- A whopping 155 x 243 cm in size
- Wool is the primary material used to make a kilim rug
- Provenance: Moldova
- Care: treat this piece with very special care - professional cleaning is recommended!
- Please note: this is a handmade and vintage piece. All of our rugs are hand-selected and in good condition, however some signs of wear and charming imperfections are to be expected
- If rugs could talk, this one would have some tales to tell