This phenomenal Moldovan kilim rug has been meticulously hand-crafted by interweaving multi-coloured wefts and warps, resulting in an ornate floral patterned kilim, that is rich in cultural history, and reversible with the same pattern on both sides.
Kilim is a word of Turkish origin and refers to a flat tapestry-woven carpet or rug traditionally produced by nomadic people across the former Ottoman Empire. Since ancient times, Caucasian rugs like this one from the plateaus of Moldova have been treasured for their superb wool, vivid colours, and exceptional weaving quality.
This rug is constructed of sections, known as cicims, that have been separately woven on a small nomadic floor loom and then have been carefully sewn together. This irregular format is due to frequent re-assembly of the loom as the weaver travels from place to place and is indicative of a kilim that has been made within a nomadic tribe to serve the needs of their community.
Passionate about sourcing vintage textiles and preserving the folk art of nomadic people, this rug was specially selected on travels through Central Asia by a well-connected funky dude who’s business motto is 'good shit, good prices.'
This vintage piece is an incredibly rare find! It would make a spectacular addition to a living room floor, adding rich ornamental texture to your home.
- Vintage hand-woven kilim rug dating from around the 1960s-1970s
- A whopping 1.7 x 2 metres in size
- Wool is the primary material used to make a kilim rug
- Provenance: Moldova
- Care: treat this piece with very special care - professional cleaning is recommended! We recommend using anti-slip mats underneath our vintage rugs
- Please note: this is a handmade and vintage piece. All of our rugs are hand-selected and in good condition, however some signs of wear and charming imperfections are to be expected
- If rugs could talk, this one would have some tales to tell
- Please note: this one is a biggie, so our large parcel UK shipping rate of £14.95 applies for this product. Or alternatively you can Click & Collect for FREE from our Manchester shop!