Kenyan Large Handwoven Basket with Handles, Blue & Pink Geometric Pattern
This stunning traditional basket was handwoven by Grace Kagwira David, a member of a women's weaving cooperative in Kenya, known as 'The Sunshine Mothers'. Made up of forty five mothers and grandmothers belonging to the Tharacka-Nithi Tribe in Meru, East of Mount Kenya, their advanced crocheting techniques follow no pattern and require immense focus and skill.
The style of each Sunshine Mother is reflected in their individual crochet motifs: utilising years of experience and vibrant creativity to create unique patterns and designs while they chat, sing, unwind and laugh, as they sit together at the side of their market shop in a impressive display of brightly coloured cloth and sisal threads.
The purchase of these baskets supports the livelihood of the weavers and contributes to keeping this rare tradition thriving! Their growing popularity has enabled them to welcome new women to the group who are then trained by the elder members, offering a sustainable future for the next generation. Each basket is completely unique and a wonderful way to add interesting texture and vibrant colour to your home.
- Made by Grace Kagwira David
- (H) 29 x (W) 40 cm approx. Please note that due to the handmade nature of this product, sizes may vary slightly
- Care: Machine washable on delicate 30 degree wash. Re-shape by hand and air-dry afterwards
- Hand made from dried sisal and yarn
- Made in Kenya
- Fairtrade - The Sunshine Mothers are paid directly at all stages of their work, providing them with a regular wage all year round