This phenomenal Moldovan pile woven rug has been meticulously hand-crafted by knotting multi-coloured yarns around the warps, resulting in an ornate floral tufted rug that is rich in cultural history.
Since ancient times, Caucasian rugs like this one from the plateaus of Moldova have been treasured for their superb textiles, vivid colours, and exceptional weaving quality.
As is true in most weaving cultures, traditionally women and girls are the artisans, taking up weaving as a hobby as well as being a source of income. Women learn their weaving skills from a young age, and each rug is a very labour-intense product, taking months or even years to complete.
Passionate about sourcing vintage textiles and preserving the folk art of nomadic people, this rug was specially selected on travels through Central Asia by a well-connected funky dude who’s business motto is 'good shit, good prices.'
This vintage piece is an incredibly rare find! The floral design has worn away in places around the central motif to reveal the patterned blue base fabric, adding a unique and interesting edge to the overall look of the rug. It would make a spectacular addition to a living room floor, adding rich ornamental texture to your home.
- Vintage hand-woven rug dating from around the 1960s-1970s
- Size: 205 x 125 cm
- Provenance: Moldova
- Care: treat this piece with very special care - professional cleaning is recommended!
- Please note: this is a handmade and vintage piece. All of our rugs are hand-selected and in good condition, however some signs of wear and charming imperfections are to be expected
- If rugs could talk, this one would have some tales to tell
- Please note: this one is a biggie, so our large parcel UK shipping rate of £14.95 applies for this product. Or alternatively you can Click & Collect for FREE from our Manchester shop!